Friday, October 24, 2008

Mohammed's Radio

You know, the Sheriff's got his problems too
He will surely take them out on you
In walked the village idiot and his face was all aglow
He's been up all night listening to Mohammed's Radio

-Warren Zevon

This must be the UAE version of the Fairness Doctrine.
A Dubai radio station fired a South African drive-time DJ for mocking religion and impersonating God on the air, the show's management said Wednesday.

The Arabian Radio Network said in a statement Revin John had been "let go" over a sketch Monday on Virgin Radio Dubai in which he quoted an article about a U.S. court throwing out a lawsuit against God.

John then pretended to act out a telephone conversation with God, prompting complaints from listeners of "diverse faiths and nationalities," said a statement written in reponse to questions from The Associated Press.
I guess you can't get Howard Stern or Bubba the Love Sponge ion the UAE. And definitely not this guy.


I must confess that part of my motivation in posting this story is the song in the title. I'm listening to an album I haven't listened to in a while called "A Quiet Normal Life: the Best of Warren Zevon. The guy had some offbeat stuff which I can appreciate. Listening to his version of "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me" reveals a verse that Linda Ronstadt chose to leave off her cover. I can see why.

Unfortunately,Warren Zevon died a few years ago.

Thank you for indulging me.

No comments: