Thursday, August 03, 2006

Equal opportunity disappointment

Blogger won't upload pictures, and Sheila has a music meme that requires a lot of attention. I also won't be around until late tomorrow night, which means a very short travelogue part four - that is, if I can ever get part three to work. I'm a pissy grumble monkey right about now.

So, travelogue later (I hope). I promised Sheila in the comments that I'd come up with the Music thing, so below you will find the beginning of it. It's just too large to handle at one hunk so I've decided to start a weekly theme - Musical Monday. Tune in at the start of the standard workweek for a little tuneful blogging.

My promise to you - all of my answers will be done before I read any of Sheila's, even though you won't be getting them all at once. I did a mass cut-n-paste and then went through deleting Sheila's additions, then I went through and answered. (Or, am answering. There's still some left at the tail end.) Wherever I added a new item to the meme, I used italics for the heading.

MUSICAL MONDAY (the prologue)

High maintenance survey from Tanya: (via Sheila)

What's a great late night song?
Depends on what you’re doing late at night. Let’s say (just for kicks) that you’re watching “Late Night with the Nightfly” on local cable access channel 219. In that case, the only possible song would be the ultra boss kick-ass theme to the show, “What Planet Is This?” by Seatbelts.

In a more sedate mood, I’d probably play you some of Sinatra’s slower stuff, like “Someone to Watch Over Me.”

Name 5-10 wistful/bittersweet songs:
No-one can hear just one, apparently.

“Dock of the Bay,” Otis Redding
“Promises,” Eric Clapton
“Dance Hall Days,” Wang Chung (yeah, OK, laugh)
“Wishing You Were Here,” Chicago
“King George Street,” Squeeze
“Who’s Crying Now,” Journey (the coda kills me)
“Didn’t Want to Have to Do It,” Lovin’ Spoonful
“Life in a Northern Town,” Dream Academy
“A Summer Song,” Chad and Jeremy
“Just My Imagination,” the Temptations

The 4 Best Songs Ever Written:
Just four? Criminy. Even Mark Steyn is up to 16, and he gets an entire 2000-word column out of each of them.
“Blue Rondo a la Turk,” Dave Brubeck Quartet
“Starship Troopers,” Yes
“Fantasy,” Earth Wind & Fire (I never get tired of this)
“Three is a Magic Number,” Bob Dorough

3 Current Favorite Songs:
“Partridge,” the Anderson Council
“Go Down Gambling,” Blood Sweat and Tears
“Yomiko About Town,” Taku Iwasaki (not really the title, but the real title is two lines long, so I edited. It’s happy music!)

Classic Early Evening Drinking Music:
It’s got to swing, baby – but smooth, you know?

3 All Time Faves That Never Get Old to You
Well, you could take any three of the four from the Four Best List. Of those four, Blue Rondo is the one that I need a break from on rare occasions. But I’ll give you three new ones:

“Cheap Sunglasses,” ZZ Top
“New Frontier,” Donald Fagen
“Steppin’ Out,” Joe Jackson

AND, since all things blog and PC are recalcitrant this evening, I've moved this segment up a bit, and retitled it:

Songs to listen to in the Angry Dome:
“Pushing the Sky,” Seatbelts
“Symphony 25 in G-minor, 1st movement,” W.A. Mozart – it plays during the opening scenes of Amadeus, when Salieri is carried through the streets in the snow. It’s blistering.
“The Real Me,” the Who
“I’m So Afraid,” Fleetwood Mac – Lindsay Buckingham is wildly underrated as a composer and performer. The live performance in ’97 is tremendous – the rest of the band eventually fades out and lets him blow the stage to pieces.
“Rip Her to Shreds,” Blondie
“Play It All Night Long,” Warren Zevon
“SeƱor Burns,” Tito Puente. Heheheh. As he himself said, “Why shoot Mr. Burns when I can take my revenge with a slanderous mambo?”
“Voices Carry,” ‘Til Tuesday
“Laura,” Billy Joel
“Synchronicity II,” the Police

That's for starters, and there will be more on Monday in the AM. Huzzah.

No comments: