Thursday, December 14, 2006

Ted Haggard, call your office!

Another one bites the dust:

In a tearful videotaped message Sunday to his congregation, the senior pastor of a thriving evangelical megachurch in south metro Denver confessed to sexual relations with other men and announced he had voluntarily resigned his pulpit.

A month ago, the Rev. Paul Barnes of Grace Chapel in Doug las County preached to his 2,100-member congregation about integrity and grace in the aftermath of the Ted Haggard drugs-and-gay-sex scandal.

Now, the 54-year-old Barnes joins Haggard as a fallen evangelical minister who preached that homosexuality was a sin but grappled with a hidden life.

"I have struggled with homosexuality since I was a 5-year-old boy," Barnes said in the 32- minute video, which church leaders permitted The Denver Post to view. "... I can't tell you the number of nights I have cried myself to sleep, begging God to take this away."

I am surprised that the Fly has not noted this story and the Haggard tale to those who say that it is celibacy that is the cause of gay Catholic priests.

Long ago, I promised the Fly I would post on the evangelical perspective of the confession of sin. Actually, it will be the evangelical-wino perspective of James 5:16

Main point: Pray for your pastors, be they Catholic or Protestant. It's bad enough that my pastors have to put up with my Pferdkaese, but all pastors doing it right are high-value targets of The Evil One.

No comments: