Thursday, August 27, 2009

Redneck World

I spent the weekend with my big brother (AKA the Chief) and his family at the Kingsley Lake campgrounds at the Florida National Guard's Camp Blanding.

On Saturday we visited the Waldo Flea Market. There were many things that you would expect to see at a country flea market, from farm equipment to vegetables "only from the USA" as the sign says.

And then there was a little tent in the back called Redneck World. Being raised in New Jersey, I must confessed that I don't get the obsession with the Confederacy 134 years after its downfall. I'll tell you of some of the questionable things I saw and let you decide whether it's over the top.

A bumper sticker that says "Lee surrendered. I didn't."

Another bumper sticker. "Gone Coon Hunting". To be fair, there is a picture of some sort of animal on the sticker.

A T-shirt with the Stars and Bars and the words, "Fighting Terrorism Since 1861".

A T-shirt with Dr King's words, "I Have a Dream" and a picture of the US Capitol Building with the Stars and Bars flying over it.

On an earlier visit my brother claims to have seen a T-shirt with Klansmen in full dress and the words, "The Original Boys in the Hood" though I did not see this.

That's about as it. No "Dueling Banjoes" stuff.

No comments: