Friday, August 12, 2005

Updates

Mike Cameron will have surgery to set the broken bones in his face, following the collision yesterday in San Diego.

I hope he makes a full recovery, and not just because he's a favorite player. In the meantime, I owe an explanation to everyone I confused yesterday. Understand - I had no idea that the game was a re-broadcast. The Mets were in San Diego. I didn't think twice about the sunshine and wasn't really paying attention until Cameron and Beltran smashed into each other. Believe me, it was bad: worse than anything from tonight's Jets-Lions football game. So I dashed online, and promptly broke a four-hour news story.

However, I did get something a little right, something that the broadcasters missed - Cameron is a center fielder playing out of position. Every bit of his training says "Go for everything I can reach." So he didn't think twice about diving for the ball at the same time Beltran did. The last time such a thing happened to the Mets, it was also two center fielders playing at the same time, Mookie Wilson out of position in left and Lenny Dykstra in center.

3 comments:

rhapsody said...

Think I remember seeing Mookie Wilson play years ago...
My oldest has an autographed Gary Carter baseball card from 1986 :)
Off topic-
Have you and some of your friends linked over at a blog I just started-
Let me know if you mind being linked to pink- if so, I will remove it.

Otherwise, welcome!
And thanks for your time...

Humor Girl said...

I barely caught the replay on ESPN...It looked pretty bad!?

nightfly said...

It was bad. Not bloody, but cringe-inducing. The last time I couldn't bear to watch a highlight was when I saw Napoleon Kaufman's knee get bent the wrong way on Monday Night Football.