Thursday, October 16, 2008

Joe the plumber does not need a license

I work for an air conditioning contractor in Tampa. Part of my duties are to keep my boss' license current. Unlike the Medienhueren, I actually know what I'm talking about.

Let's see what the
Ohio Construction Licensing Board has to say:
4740.01(A) “License” means a license the Ohio construction industry licensing board issues to an individual as a heating, ventilating, and air conditioning contractor, refrigeration contractor, electrical contractor, plumbing contractor, or hydronics contractor.

4740.07 (B) Any individual may request, at the time of applying for a license or at any time thereafter, that the individual’s license be assigned to a business entity with whom the individual is associated as a full-time officer, proprietor, partner, or employee. If the individual is issued or holds a license and meets the requirements of this section for the assignment of the license to a business entity, the administrative section shall assign the license to and issue a license in the name of the business entity. The license assigned and issued to a business entity under this division shall state the name and position of the individual who assigned the license to the business entity.

Let me translate for you. One person in a business (in the case of my employer it is the owner) takes the test and qualifies for the license. That license is assigned to the business entity and you can have as many air conditioning technicians (or plumbers) working for that company as long as that license is assigned to an owner or a employee of that.

Joe the Plumber works for a business entity (Newell Plumbing & Heating) whose licenseholder is Al Newell. Trust me on this. I do this for a living.

I have anger issues. The Obama campaign is calling my place of work with taped messages. I got back by calling the Hillsborough County Democratic Party and tearing into the poor sap that picked up the phone.

No comments: