Sunday, November 30, 2008

Messiah @ High School Musical

Last year I went to this high school Christmas musical. I remember the one thing I noted was that, for a public school, they were pushing Jesus pretty hard. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

What I didn't tell you about was the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah. It wasn't sung by the youngsters but by parents and staff - grownups! Last year I almost went up there on a lark to blend in with the tenors.

This year I am officially in it! I have my sheet music and my CD with the tenor part. (Sheet music doesn't do me a lot of good. One day I may get around to learning how to read music.) Rangewise the tenor part is right in my wheelhouse.

The first time I heard Handel's Messiah was live at the Rhein Main Air Base Chapel performed by the American members of the Mainz Symphony Orchestra. I was hooked before the overture was finish. I never heard anything like that before in my life.

I always see Messiah live here in Tampa every year. But this is the first time I will be a playa, even if it is just a small portion. I am stoked!

No comments: