Sunday, March 08, 2009

I'll let you teachers take a crack at this

There is a new curriculum at our local Tampa schools. Some English teachers don't like it because it does away with some of the classics. I am suspicious because the Advanced Placement students (The classes with college credit) are exempt from this new stuff. And I can't get used to the idea of kids watching movies in class (I know how I sound - get off my lawn!)

How did we get this new program? As our Lord would say, "Where your treasure is there your heart is also", and the late Mark Felt (AKA Deep Throat) would add, "Follow the money."
When the Hillsborough County School District tried SpringBoard at four of its 25 high schools last year, teachers balked at giving up favorite lessons and making drastic changes with little training. There was more angst when the district suddenly announced a districtwide rollout for this school year as it jumped at the chance for $30 million in federal grants to pay for the program over five years.
When you take Obama's money, you must do what Obama says. Are you listening, Governor Crist?

That's all I've got on the subject. If you teachers out there want to weigh in, feel free. Here is a comparison of the old and new.

No comments: