Friday, January 22, 2010

It's my fault, Part 1

Sports and news talk radio are running ads about the Gasparilla Pirate Fest next Saturday. The closest I can compare this to in style and temperment is Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

These ads are reminding attendees that, for the first time, local laws concerning underage drinking and public winoism will be enforced. You see, the parade runs down Bayshore Blvd, where there are many very nice homes owned by folks with the money to buy them. Well, last year there was one too many guys pooping in the front yard bushes, and complaints from homeowners have begotten a renewed effort by cops to crack down.

And it's my fault. It's also my fault that beer sales are cut off after the seventh inning and the fourth quarter of sporting events. Most of you reading this have no problem going to the game, drinking a few beers (not as many as you like- what are they $50 a piece at the ballpark?) and going home. But because of guys like me who couldn't control themselves the rest of you have to be treated like eight year olds.

New Jersey raising the drinking age from 18 to 21 back in the 1980's? I own that one, too.

Okay, maybe I share some responsibility with the law firm of Dewey, Cheatem & Howe, since fear of litigation is probably motivating some of these ballpark rules. ("My client was held down by concession employees and had MGD poured down his throat.")

That's not the only thing that's my fault. But that's for Part 2.

No comments: