Monday, February 26, 2007

At Least It Felt Good

The State of Virginia apologizes for slavery:

Meeting on the grounds of the former Confederate Capitol, the Virginia General Assembly voted unanimously Saturday to express "profound regret" for the state's role in slavery.

My dad once told me that if I did what the Virginia legislature did I would go blind. This was political masturbation: 70% of black babies will still be born out of wedlock, the lips and car stereos of black men will still be the only place I will hear the N-word; thugs and gangstas will still show up at the NBA All-Star Game (and be indistinguishable in appearance from NBA players) and Jamaal will still be drinking a 40-once (Old English 800 – it’s got your number!) on the corner of 140th Ave & 12th St in Tampa.

I once worked on a refrigeration unit in a food store in a black neighborhood. I was on the other side of the glass as I heard the shrieks of those who could not get cold malt liquor at noon on a Tuesday. Of course, I walked outside to see Karl Rove and Dick Cheney forcing a black man’s mouth open and pouring Colt 45 down it.

Sorry for this brief moment of insensitivity. Damned right the Sisko is angry!

It’s my computer. I can post at work but not at home.

No comments: