Partly to honor all the choices, and partly because I'm having such fun seeing what you came up with, I'm going to take the nominees and list them here (not in any particular order). People in gold already have multiple nominations; people in green are those not nominated at all but on the huge list I had when I made my own top-ten. You can vote for anyone here or you can write someone in. If you want to keep your list from before that's cool too.
- Samwise Gamgee - Frodo's faithful servant from Lord of the Rings
- Mr. Spock - Kirk's XO on the Enterprise; logician and occasional harpist
- Dr. James Watson - Sherlock Holmes' narrator and fellow adventurer
- Artemis Gordon from The Wild Wild West
- Sara Gaskell, Dean of the university in the film Wonder Boys
- KITT - Michael Knight's car from Knight Rider
- Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride
- Goose - Maverick's copilot in Top Gun
- Lt. Morris Schaffer, Clint Eastwood's character in Where Eagles Dare
- Eastwood again, this time the aptly-named Pardner in Paint Your Wagon
- Ned Logan - Morgan Freeman's character in Unforgiven
- Chewbacca - every smuggler needs a first mate, right?
- The Sundance Kid (that one was Redford) (AND that's two movies for Bill Goldman)
- Mickey Goldmill (everything you want to know about the franchise is at Obsession Central)
- Marion Ravenwood, Raiders of the Lost Ark*
- Larry/Curly from the Three Stooges
- Bert from Mary Poppins OR Sesame Street
- Egon and Ray from Ghostbusters
- Tyler Durden, Fight Club
- Elwood Blues, the Blues Brothers
- Harry Dunne of Dumb and Dumber (that's Jeff Daniels)
- The .44 Magnum, deadliest handgun ever made, etc. etc.
- Dr. Henry Jones Sr., Indiana Jones and the
- Minute Mouse (and great theme song, by the way)
- Dori of Finding Nemo
- Jane Bennett, "Pride and Prejudice"
- Agent J, Men in Black - clearly K's protege
- Jet Black - master of the Bebop, yet he's Spike's right-hand man, not the reverse
- Horatio, "Hamlet"
- Susan Ivanova, Babylon Five
- Silent Bob
- Hermoine Granger from the Harry Potter books
- Juan Ramirez of Highlander (a double for Connery)
- Ed Norton, the Honeymooners - such a good wingman he inspired Barney Rubble
- Pikachu (hey, PT has four daughters, cut him some slack)
- Mike Wazowski, Monsters Inc. (Pixar comes up with great wingmen)
- James Boswell - the biographer of Samuel Johnson
- Friday from "Robinson Crusoe"
- Michaeleen Flynn, from the Quiet Man
- Sgt Bothari: "I am Lady Vorkosigan's dog." (But who's Lady Vorkosigan? Oh.)
- Al (Dean Stockwell) from Quantum Leap
- Tinkerbell - from a mere spotlight on the stage to a vixenous icon of her own right
- Fozzie Bear
- Milhouse Van Houten - Bart Simpson's running mate, also cast as Fallout Boy in the Radioactive Man movie on the show (which makes him a double-second-banana!)
- Pompey from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (another great theme song)
*You could also go with Sallah, who returned in the third movie
**Wow, this was released in 1989?
You may also notice that I've eliminated some of the field candidates - the crew of the Serenity and "any officer besides Kirk." It's not fair either to give all the points to each candidate or to split them so many ways. Neither do I want to average out five or six spots and then let the next candidate sink all the way to the bottom. It would skew the results unnecessarily.