I'm pretty sure that this fellow is not the John Derbyshire of National Review, so there's one doppleganger. And his list of ten things he's never done has inspired an analogous reply here - I will list my reactions to his list, and then follow it with one of my own.
So for those of you following at home, that's two J. Derbyshires, and two lists of ten - twin parallels, so this post is a rhombus!
The original list (in red, with my comments in black):
And my own Ten Things I've Never Done:
- read Lord of the Rings [he hasn't, I have - see below]
- driven across America [nor have I, but I have driven to Florida and back, solo]
- voted for a party other than Labour [ok, definitely not the Derb]
- found anything written by Slavoj Zizek illuminating [who? Oh. I'll take his word for it]
- crossed the equator [I've never even been off the Eastern Seaboard. what a provincial!]
- seen Citizen Kane [likewise, but I loved Orson in The Muppet Movie]
- tasted caviar
- 'got' Steely Dan [another true skeptic for you, Ms. Sister and Mr. Bingley!]
- been skiing [hey! let's fall down this mountain! yikes]
- read Alain Badiou [again...who? Oh, yeah. Looks like a happy guy.]
Which reminds me - back to work! But please, post your own lists in the comments and bat the topic around...
- gone to London. Always wanted to.
- smoking or drugs. (This is one I plan to leave on the list.)
- read the Iliad. I want to go back and fill in what I missed before the Odyssey.
- met James Lileks. But I'd need to be sedated first. You think I'm kidding.
- developed super-powers. (It wouldn't be healthy. Many fellow motorists would be smoking piles on the highway if I had Mega Wrath Vision.)
- played ice hockey. (This would require me to develop another set of super-powers.)
- played a live poker tournament. (I deal, but would like to try active participation.)
- been a dynamic rock frontman. The only thing I'm missing is a voice, an instrument, and discernable talent.
- finished the Mother of Unfinishable Stories