Sunday, May 07, 2006

I take it all back

Right at the bottom of my little draft choice roundup, one comes to the name Doug Wickenheiser. I wrote that he'd played "11 underwhelming seasons with 5 diappointed teams, finishing with more penalty minutes than points."

This was, from a hockey standpoint, true as far as it goes, but it isn't the whole story. Turns out that, while with the St. Louis Blues, Wickenheiser scored in double-overtime against Calgary and forced a game seven in the semifinals. He also struggled to overcome an off-ice knee injury that should have ended his career.

But that's not why the Blues retired Wickenheiser's #14.

My honest apologies to the Wickenheiser family and to the Blues. The year was bad enough for St. Louis (worst record in the league) without my big mouth.

No comments: