Thursday, March 12, 2009

She Thought I was a Wife Beater.

An update to this post.

Long ago, in a galaxy far away, I was engaged to be married. Actually I was engaged twice (two different women - I have commitment issues, which is also why I have no tattoos) but this story is about Engagement #2.

One day my betrothed asked me out of the blue, “Are you going to beat me after we get married?” I immediately thought of the old Bugs Bunny - Daffy Duck - Elmer Fudd cartoon, “Are you going to shoot me now or take me home and shoot me?” My answer was witty: “Betrothed, if I was going to beat you I’d be beating you now.” Wrong answer.

But I did find out where she got this crazy idea. My betrothed was studying to be a social worker and one of her classes had the director of a women’s shelter as a guest speaker. This speaker gave the class a profile of the classic wife beater. Poverty, broken home, drunk, abusive father.

Well guys, that’s me! And I was a little hurt, because I had exhibited no evidence that I would do such a thing. I freely admit that I’m still not quite right in some areas but beating on womenfolk isn’t one of them. Ladies, if I’m mad at you I just won’t talk to you. That’s not good, but at least it won’t involve law enforcement and the medical community.

And I am still not quite right. But the Lord healed, and continues to heal..

Why didn’t I marry her? I rarely denied her anything. But on the rare occasion I did she wouldn’t take “no” for an answer. All she had to do was humor me now and then and be satisfied with “no”. And she couldn’t do it.

No comments: