Friday, August 15, 2008

To the Bitter Psychedelic End

I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey last night. I must say, the special effects hold up well for a 40-year-old film.

Maybe it's because I don't smoke weed, but I could have cut a half hour from that movie and not missed a thing. I didn't remember all that psychedelic stuff. I guess folks felt differently in 1968.

It's also interesting to see how Kubrick in 1968 saw 2001. No cellphones. AT&T still had a monopoly on long distance service. The business suit hasn't changed as much as Kubrick predicted. And New York City doesn't have 40 million starving people in it. (Whoops! That's Soylent Green).

Surprizing little dialogue. My favorite line was also used by Richard Pryor in a bit about taking acid.

"Open the pod bay doors, HAL."
"I can't do that, Dave."

As soon as Netflix gets their act together, my next film is the sequel, 2010.

No comments: