Wednesday, October 17, 2007

USF Bulls are number 2!

And that's no BCS!

South Florida football coach Jim Leavitt isn't much for sentiment.

At least not for public displays of it during a game week.

Consider his response when a reporter asked whether, in a quiet moment, Leavitt ever finds himself amazed at the stunning rise of his program, which grew from dirt 11 years ago and is ranked No. 2 in the BCS standings with a legitimate shot at a national championship.

The Bulls (6-0 overall, 1-0 Big East) will put their highest-ever ranking on the line Thursday at Rutgers (4-2, 1-1) in a nationally televised game (ESPN, 7:30 p.m. ET).

I go past this campus every day on my way to work. The USF Bulls are so hot here that Bucs players are asked about them on their radio shows.

I am emotionally conflicted. I love USF, but how could I root against my alma mater? Would I survive if I showed up in a Tampa sports bar tomorrow night wearing my RU shirt?

The last RB to gain 100 yards on the Bulls D was RU's Ray Rice last year @ Tampa. I was @ that game and I wore my RU shirt in that stadium. RU won 22-20.

No comments: